- 2 cups of lard, vegetable oil, or coconut oil
- 1 cup achiote (annatto) seeds
- In the fat in a saucepan. Turn the heat to low, add achiote seeds.
- Stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until the fat turns to a rich orange-red color.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Strain through a colander with absorbent paper and pour into a glass container.
- Cover, and store in the refrigerator, to be used by tablespoons, as called for in certain recipes.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 13
- Sugar: .1 g
- Sodium: 5.6 mg
- Fat: .7 g
- Saturated Fat: .1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5 g
- Fiber: .4 g
- Protein: .6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg